Monday, August 2, 2010

365 Challenge, Day 16: And I Thought Taxidermy Was Weird

If the last few days have taught me anything, it's that no matter how many times a visitor drags me to a museum that I have already been to, I will always find something that is either new or that I simply missed on a previous visit. Today proved to be no exception.

Above you will see a photograph of Doctor Grover Krantz and Clyde. In life, Krantz was a professor of anthropology at Washington State University and Clyde was his beloved 160-lb Irish wolfhound.



In death, they are an exhibit at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum. Krantz donated their bodies to science upon his death in 2002. In 2003, they were put on display at the museum so that they could be used to help scientists teach human and nonhuman skeletal anatomy in relation to biomechanical function. Or something.

None of the information available clearly specified whether or not Clyde was already dead at the time. One can only hope so...


On a completely unrelated note, I thought Alfie and I both looked kinda fugly in the skycoaster photo from yesterday, so here's a cute one we took today.




2 comments: