Saturday, July 24, 2010

365 Challenge, Day 7: Joey!

TJ left for Quito shortly before 4AM. Stealth has never been his forte when it comes to getting ready in the morning (I don't think he would make a very good ninja), and today was certainly no exception. Today, however, I didn't mind, because I did want to be awake to wish him a proper farewell instead of the usual "Mmh? Uh-huh. GoodbyZzzzzz" that his leaving for work in the morning warrants.

It wasn't until he left that I realized that I had no idea how I was going to spend my free time for the next two weeks. We've made friends here, sure, but enough to fill my social calendar until TJ returns? We'll certainly find out. Will worry about that later. Today would be mall hopping fun with Joey!

I met Joey a couple of weeks after I moved to Orlando. I was 23, had just graduated college, and had no idea what I wanted to do with myself beyond moving to Florida. Needing some sort of income, I immediately accepted a part-time job as an attractions attendant at Universal Orlando's E.T. Adventure. Enter Joey: 16-year-old high school student. "You have a college degree? Then what are you doing here?" Indeed. Joey spoke the truth. And I hated him for it. True, I only planned on being there for a couple of months, but the kid had a point.

I quickly moved on to other employment opportunities and never saw him again. Or so I thought. Flash forward almost seven years, and our paths finally cross again. He's 22, has a college degree, and is NOT working his dream job. "Karma's a bitch," he says. Indeed. This pretty much solidified our friendship.

TJ and I moved to DC a few weeks later. Earlier this month, Joey accepted a promotion at work that required that he move to Bethesda, Maryland...aka Metro DC.

It's a small world after all...it's a small world after all....


You, too, can have your very own
Joey for the low, low price of $19.95.


No comments:

Post a Comment